With every year, new marketing buzzwords are introduced. Many buzzwords are usually not useful or meaningful to marketers. However, these buzzwords can be utilised by marketers to create cohesive marketing plans.
The introduction of 2018 brought along many buzzwords, which have been narrowed down to eight:
- Native ads are a form of paid media advertising that are frequently adopted by content marketers. They are ‘in-feed’ and non-disruptive so as to blend in with the flow of the website. Examples on native ads include promotional tweets on Twitter, suggested posts on Facebook, and more.
Native ads help build trust and engagement with prospective customers as opposed to traditional display ads.
- Mobile video involves using mobile devices to watch videos. It is expected to grow and reach $6 billion in 2018, which represents about half of total online video ad spend.
- User-generated content is any form of content that has been created and published by unpaid contributors. These include pictures, testimonials, tweets, blog posts and more. This means that users are promoting the content, rather than the brand itself having to do it.People are no longer as passive as they used to be, and they trust other people more than they trust brands. Consumers, nowadays, want to get involved with the brands and create personal connections. Using user-generated content creates authenticity with minimal costs.
- Transparency refers to the individual’s knowledge on why and how their data is being collected and used. It builds trust, which then leads to the development of a personal connection as well as providing insight to customer satisfaction.
- Micro-moments refer to the moments people turn to devices to act on a need. These needs are classified as “I-want-to-know”, “I-want-to-go”, “I-want-to-do”, and “I-want-to-buy” moments. This means that, as a business, you can be there for your consumer by having a constant, correct online presence.
- Algorithm a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer. It is used to determine what content shows up where. It causes relevancy, which ultimately leads to a personal connection with potential consumers.
- Artificial intelligence is an area of computer science that emphasizes the creation of intelligent machines that work and react like humans. It impacts marketing strategies by allowing algorithms to replace humans by quickly figuring out which business or website should show up in your search results or newsfeed as well as which consumers see your business ads in search results or their Facebook newsfeeds.
- Return on Investment (ROI) is a measure of profitability that indicates whether a company is using its resources in an efficient manner. It helps manage marketing budgets, shows which marketing channels should be exploited, and which tools are operating in a less effective manner.
These eight buzzwords can help marketers better plan their marketing strategies while staying on trend. Although these buzzwords might not suit every marketing strategy, when utilised properly, they can adequately deliver the sought-out results.
Here are 11 Digital Marketing Buzzwords to Know and Love in 2018
Top Digital Advertising Trends Coming in 2018
21 Digital Marketing Trends for 2018